Insurance companies like to paint attorneys and those who file medical malpractice lawsuits in a bad light and make you believe they put the medical profession at risk. However, this is not the truth. If you suffer serious injury because of a preventable medical error, find out how your Brooklyn medical malpractice attorney can help you hold parties accountable and recover damages.
The American Association for Justice (AAJ) released a February 2011 report that presented some startling facts about medical malpractice.
- Based on an Institute of Medicine report, preventable medical errors kill an estimated 98,000 Americans annually and injure many more
- Preventable medical errors are the sixth leading cause of U.S. deaths
- Few injured patients file medical malpractice lawsuits
- Research shows patients who file lawsuits are more concerned about accountability than monetary recovery
- Close to 50% of the country's doctors confess they do not report incompetence or medical errors
- Hospitals that incorporate full medical error disclosures to patients reduce their medical malpractice lawsuits and costs
- Hospitals can save billions of dollars by preventing medical errors
Despite the fact that insurance companies claim malpractice lawsuits drive up costs and cause them to increase medical practitioners' insurance premiums, research shows that claims statistics have in fact not driven up premiums because claims remain in the same statistical ranges. Further, while insurance companies would have states believe that insurance premiums remain lower when states pass caps on recoverable damages, these caps have not cut hospitals' or practitioners' insurance costs.
If you or a loved one suffers serious injury from preventable medical errors, discuss your potential medical malpractice case with experienced Brooklyn attorneys.
Goldberg Sager & Associates works diligently to hold doctors and hospitals accountable for preventable errors.