The New York metro area is known for its yellow cabs, called "Medallion taxis," which people can hail to get rides. Livery cabs are also available, but usually require a phone call to a cab company for pickup. Due to the large number of taxis in New York, taxi accidents are also common. If you suffer serious injury as a passenger in a taxicab accident, find out about your rights to recover compensation by working with a Brooklyn taxi accident attorney.
The New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) has regulatory oversight over taxicabs and liveries in New York City. Based on its authority, the TLC established a Medallion Taxicab Passenger Bill of Rights in an effort to protect passengers. Several of your rights to protect against accidents include:
- A safe and courteous driver who obeys all traffic laws
- Working seatbelts for all passengers
- A driver who does not use a cell phone while driving (hand-held or hands-free)
Taxicab or livery passengers are not the only ones at risk in taxi accidents. Drivers or passengers in other vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists can also suffer injury in accidents. Here are some highlights of the New York City Taxicab Fact Book, which gathered statistics about taxi accidents in 1999:
- The NY State Department of Motor Vehicles reported 4,270 crashes involving Medallion taxicabs
- Of Medallion accidents, 3,041 involved personal injury and 10 involved fatalities
- Taxicab pedestrian injuries numbered 538, with four fatalities
- Bicyclists who sustained injuries in taxi accidents numbered 282 with no fatalities
- Liveries were involved in 13,134 accidents
Find out how a taxi accident lawyer in Brooklyn can help you recover compensation when involved in an accident.
Goldberg Sager & Associates has legal expertise acquired from more than 50 years of combined legal experience.