It's frustrating to be injured by someone else's negligence or carelessness. Your life can feel like it's ground to a halt as you deal with medical treatments and hospitalization (and the huge bills that come with that), the loss of hours at work, and disruption to family life. The worst case is the loss of a loved one.
People get hurt on New York City subways and buses all the time. Sometimes the injuries are serious. If this has happened to you -- a fall, a train injury, a collision, an assault or another life-changing event -- get the help you need. Talk to an experienced attorney to see what legal rights you have.
What do you have to lose?
A lot. Not all injuries turn into lawsuits -- sometimes accidents just happen. But other accidents are preventable; they are caused by someone's action or inaction, and they cause suffering for someone else. On public transit, this can involve:
- Unsafe train cars or platforms
- Dangerous station conditions
- Assaults or attacks on MTA property or other areas
- A driver acting recklessly
- Faulty or defective equipment
If you don't choose to protect your legal rights (which may include your right to financial compensation for your medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, wrongful death or other damages), nobody else will. You don't want to be left financially, vocationally and medically vulnerable after a serious injury; and you don't want your family to be adversely affected because of someone else's negligence. Without the advice of a lawyer, you won't know if you gave up your rights.
What you can do now
After a serious injury, it is important to take certain steps to protect yourself. These steps include:
- Reporting your injuries to the police
- Getting proper medical treatment immediately
- Photographing and documenting the accident -- and getting witnesses -- if at all possible
- Seeking legal advice
- NOT talking to a negligent party's insurance company until you talk to your attorney
- NOT accepting a check from a negligent party's insurance company until you talk to your attorney
Every case is different
No two public transit injuries are the same. It is important to speak with an experienced personal injury firm that has handled similar cases in New York City. And again, it is essential to do it as soon as possible after an accident.