How to Pursue Compensation for a Wrongful Death in New York
Few things compare to the horror and hardship faced by individuals and families who lose a loved one to an accident, whether it is a car crash, trucking collision, public transportation accident, medical malpractice, nursing home negligence, or other tragedy.
With the help of an experienced personal injury attorney, you can file a wrongful death suit to hold negligent parties accountable and receive compensation to defray the immense financial burden that often results.
How are Wrongful Death Settlements Paid Out?
In New York, there is a framework in place to address how victims’ families are compensated in the event of an accidental death caused by the action or inaction of another person or entity. Financial settlements or judgments are typically allotted according to these parameters:
- If the victim had a spouse but no children, all proceeds go to the spouse.
- If the victim had a spouse and children, $50,000 and 50 percent of the proceeds go to the spouse, and the rest is divided equally between any children.
- If the victim had children and no spouse, proceeds are divided equally among the children.
- If the victim had one or both parents and no children or spouse, proceeds go to the surviving parent or parents.
- If the victim had no living spouse, children, or parents, but has siblings, proceeds are split evenly among them.
How a Wrongful Death Lawyer Can Help
A skilled personal injury attorney can conduct a complete investigation of the facts surrounding the death of your loved one to determine who was at fault and to pursue maximum damages. It is our mission to protect your rights, see that justice is served, and achieve an outcome that puts you on solid financial footing as you begin to rebuild your life. To do this, our adept lawyers will aggressively negotiate with an insurance company to get the amount you deserve. While most of these cases are settled out of court, your attorney will be prepared if full litigation is necessary.
Contact a Brooklyn, NY Wrongful Death Attorney
At Goldberg Sager & Associates, we offer compassionate care for our clients and a relentless approach in securing the compensation they need as they cope with the devastation that accompanies a wrongful death. To learn how we can assist you today, contact a New York City wrongful death attorney at 718-514-9516 for a free consultation.