Search Site
1628 Kings Highway at East 17th Street | Brooklyn, New York 11229
Available 24/7 718-514-9516
Auto Accident FAQ

New York Attorneys Answer Frequently Asked Questions About Auto Accidents

Lawyers respond to common queries about vehicle collisions

Auto accidents are both traumatic and confusing. Often, adversaries and insurers will attempt to induce victims into quick settlements before they understand their full rights. At Goldberg Sager & Associates, we empower our clients with the knowledge and representation they need to obtain a fair recovery. Some of the most frequently asked questions we receive from clients concerning auto accidents are these:

Call today to schedule a meeting with a New York auto accident attorney

If you’ve been in an auto accident, you’re likely to have questions. For answers, call Goldberg Sager & Associates at 718-514-9516 or contact us online for a free initial consultation. From our Brooklyn office, we serve people in all five boroughs and as well as Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk counties. We can make hospital or home visits if necessary.

What should I do to protect myself legally if I’m in a car accident?

If you’ve been in a car accident, your first priority should be to seek medical attention. This will not only aid your physical recovery but will also help form the legal basis for any claim you wish to file. If you’re able to collect information at the accident scene, you should take down contact and insurance information for the other driver and get the names and phone numbers of any police officers who report to the scene. Most people now can use their cellphones to take photos at the scene, so if you can, you should record images of the vehicles from different angles as well as anything else, such as fixed objects, which might have contributed to the collision.

Back to top

How long do I have to file a lawsuit?

For injury or property claims arising out of an auto accident, the New York statute of limitations is three years, meaning you have three years from the date of the accident to file. If a suit is not filed within that time, you probably will not be allowed to pursue your claim. Special rules apply for litigation against the state or a city, so if you’ve been in a vehicle accident, contacting a qualified attorney as soon as possible is the best way to protect your rights.

Back to top

How can I know if I have a recoverable claim?

By meeting with a Goldberg Sager attorney, you can learn about the legal elements necessary to succeed with an accident claim. Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you still can recover under New York’s comparative fault rule. We will discuss how the facts of your case fit into the legal framework and share information on settlements and verdicts we’ve seen in similar cases.

Back to top

What are the advantages to settling before a trial?

Each case must be evaluated on its own merits, and numerous factors must be considered when deciding how to proceed. Of course, the most important consideration is the likelihood of success at trial. Jury verdicts present a risk to even the most meritorious claims. Goldberg Sager helps our clients calculate the potential compensation and measure that against your chances in court. We also factor in the time, effort and stress associated with a trial when making our recommendation.

Back to top

How do insurers determine a settlement amount?

In some cases, insurers will try to exploit your fear of going to trial. In other cases, they will leverage the financial pressure you face so that you feel compelled to accept a substandard recovery quickly rather than wait for full compensation. We are here to make sure that your decision is informed by a complete understanding of the facts and the law so that you are not intimidated into making a harmful choice.

Back to top




Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Our Office
  • Brooklyn Office
    1628 Kings Highway at East 17th Street
    Brooklyn, New York 11229
    Phone: 718-645-6677