Experienced Brooklyn Premises Liability Lawyers Fight for Victims
New York attorneys pursue payment from careless property owners
Businesses and homeowners are required to take reasonable measures to keep those who visit their property safe. Failure to do so could result in a slip and fall accident, a dog bite or even an act of criminal violence. At Goldberg Sager & Associates in Brooklyn, our accomplished lawyers represent clients seeking fair compensation in premises liability litigation throughout the New York area.
Firm takes on matters stemming from falls, security failures and dog bites
We handle all types of premises liability matters for New York clients, including claims arising from:
- Slip and fall incidents — Our attorneys litigate slip and fall cases when someone is hurt because of an icy, cracked, uneven or broken sidewalk as well as potholes, depressions and other sidewalk and street defects. We also litigate a spill at a grocery store that isn’t cleaned up or any other hazard that should have been addressed or identified by the property owner.
- Poor property conditions — A broken step, falling debris, ceiling collapses, stairwells without handrails or banisters, or other effects of poor property maintenance can trigger serious injuries.
- Security failures — Individuals and businesses that host large groups of people must guard against the types of problems that often occur in crowds. Likewise, stores and other establishments might be obligated to takes steps to prevent reasonably foreseeable crimes.
- Elevator and escalator accidents — If you were hurt because an elevator or escalator didn’t work properly, we can take action against the property owner, landlord and manufacturer where warranted.
- Dog bites — In cases where clients require medical treatment following dog bites, defendants often claim that they were unaware of their pet’s dangerous nature. We conduct a thorough investigation to identify evidence of the animal’s aggression.
- Fires — Faulty electric systems, faulty ovens and stoves maintained by the landlord, and broken alarms and other examples of negligence create a serious fire risk. After a harmful blaze, our firm works to hold liable parties accountable.
Don’t get pressured into a weak settlement by a defendant or insurance company. You can count on us for honest counsel and determined advocacy as we strive to get you reimbursement for your healthcare costs and lost wages, as well as compensation for your pain and suffering, emotional anguish and other damages.
Proven attorneys advise on what must be proven in a premises liability case
Once you’ve suffered an injury while on someone else’s property or a public sidewalk, one of our firm’s personal injury lawyers can determine if the facts support a premises liability claim under New York law. To win in court, you must demonstrate that the defendant owed a duty of care to you and violated it, causing damages. We explain how these legal elements apply to your situation and draw on our decades of experience to assess what type of compensation you should demand. Even if you think you were partly responsible for your injury, you can still win an award in court, with the amount you receive reduced by the percentage of fault assigned to you.
Dedicated litigators assist visitors hurt due to dangerous property conditions
Many states shift a property owner’s duty of care based on whether a visitor is classified as an invitee, visitor or trespasser. New York law no longer draws these distinctions, but a defendant might try to claim that it was not reasonably foreseeable that the victim would be on their property. This sometimes affects cases involving alleged trespassers, particularly youths. A property owner who is aware that people frequently enter their premises might be legally liable for a visitor’s injury that results from a dangerous condition. If a potential defendant failed to warn of a hazard or address a dangerous condition, you might still be able to collect a financial recovery if you got hurt.
Contact a New York lawyer for free consultation about a premises liability claim
Goldberg Sager & Associates in Brooklyn represents clients throughout the New York City metropolitan area who have been injured while on someone else’s property. For a free consultation to discuss your legal options, please call (718) 645-6677, available 24 hours/7 days a week, or contact us online.