Responsive Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Brooklyn Protect You
Advocating for the rights of motorcyclists
Riding a motorcycle on crowded New York streets can be dangerous. When other drivers fail to respect a motorcyclist’s right to share the roadway, serious injury may occur. At Goldberg Sager & Associates in Brooklyn, our personal injury accident lawyers possess more than 50 years of combined experience serving the needs of injured bikers. We thoroughly understand auto accident injury law and know how to move cases forward quickly and effectively.
No matter the cause of your accident, a NYC motorcycle accident lawyer can help
After a motorcycle accident, it is imperative that you seek medical attention, since even minor injuries can be worse than a victim realizes. Your next step is to seek an honest assessment of your claim from an experienced personal injury lawyer who has handled cases similar to yours.
Common causes of motorcycle accidents are:
- Tailgating —The recommended safe following distance is two car lengths, especially when trailing a motorcycle, for which a rear-end collision can be deadly.
- Sideswipe — Since motorcycles are typically much smaller than other vehicles on the road, they can be difficult to spot when they change lanes or are in a car’s blind spot.
- Speeding — Excessive speeding greatly increases the chances of a collision and a catastrophic or fatal injury for an unprotected motorcyclist.
- Alcohol- or drug-impaired driving —The influence of drugs or alcohol can blur vision and slow reaction time, making it harder for a driver to avoid hitting a motorcyclist.
- Carelessly opened vehicle doors —The driver of a vehicle parallel parked on a busy roadway may open their door into oncoming traffic, where a motorcycle can hit it head-on.
- Road hazards — Entities tasked with maintaining roadways may be liable for injuries resulting from unsafe conditions, such as potholes, debris and untreated icy surfaces.
- Vehicle defects — If a motorcycle malfunctions due to defective design or manufacture, all parties in the chain of distribution may be liable for any injuries that occur as a result.
Whether you ride your motorcycle for enjoyment or as a cost-effective means of transportation, you deserve proper compensation if a negligent driver causes you injury.
Safety measures that affect motorcyclists’ recoveries
In New York State, motorcyclists hurt in a crash face having their potential recovery of damages reduced by the amount they are considered at fault. Motorcyclists can improve their chances of avoiding accidents and of winning adequate compensation for injuries by taking such precautions as:
- Following helmet laws — New York requires all motorcyclists to wear helmets that meet federal regulations, and failure to comply may be considered negligent conduct.
- Wearing protective gear — There is a multitude of protective gear, often called body armor, available that can significantly reduce the severity of injuries.
- Buying antilock brakes —Motorcycles with antilock brake systems can stop faster and require shorter stopping distance.
While all bikers should follow safety precautions, the negligence of other drivers on the road is not under your control. If you suffer an injury, contact a motorcycle accident lawyer at our firm.
Do I need an attorney even if I have motorcycle insurance?
While you should maintain adequate insurance for potential bodily injury and property damage, claims are not paid automatically. You may suffer damages that your insurance policy does not cover, such as compensation for pain and suffering. And your insurance company may dispute the amount of even a covered claim. As skilled personal injury attorneys, we can negotiate with your insurer and pursue claims against negligent drivers and their insurers for damages beyond what your policy will cover.
Experienced attorneys offer free consultation for injured riders
Sustaining a motorcycle accident injury can cause economic loss in addition to physical and emotional pain. Contact Goldberg Sager & Associates online or call us at 718-514-9516 for a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn personal injury attorney.