Search Site
1628 Kings Highway at East 17th Street | Brooklyn, New York 11229
Available 24/7 718-514-9516
Hit and Run Accidents

Brooklyn Hit and Run Accident Lawyers Pursue Justice for Victims

New York car accident lawyers seek compensation when an at-fault driver leaves scene

It’s bad enough to be the victim of an auto accident, but when the at-fault driver flees the scene, your problems can be much worse. While it’s true that in New York, most accident claims are settled via no-fault insurance, your losses might exceed the no-fault limit, or you might have serious injuries. If so, you deserve compensation for your losses, but how can you proceed against a hit and run driver? At Goldberg Sager & Associates in Brooklyn, we have extensive experience with these types of accident claims. A Brooklyn hit and run accident lawyer at our firm can advocate for the payment you’re entitled to.   

Following the law in New York after an accident

If you are involved in a vehicle crash, the law requires you to stop. You must exchange information with other drivers in the collision. This information can include your name, address, driver license number, vehicle registration and auto insurer. If the accident has damaged a parked vehicle or other property, or if a domestic animal is injured, you must try to notify the owner, or the police if the owner is not present. You must also report a crash within 10 days to the Department of Motor Vehicles using Form MV-104 if there has been $1,000 or more in damage to a person or property. Should anyone be injured, you must render reasonable first aid to them and notify the police immediately.  

Penalties for hit and run in New York

Leaving the scene of an accident is a traffic violation if there is only property damage. It is a crime when a person is hurt. A driver who fails to share license and insurance information after a crash causing injury can be charged with a Class B misdemeanor, with a potential sentence of 90 days in jail and a maximum $500 fine. In more serious cases, the crime is class A misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail. A second offense would be charged as a class E felony with a maximum four-year sentence. In the worst case, where someone dies in the accident, the charge would be a class D felony, punishable by up to seven years in prison and a top fine of $5,000. So why do people flee the scenes of accidents? Often, it’s because they’re afraid of being charged with a crime, such as driving without a license, driving without insurance, drunk driving or auto theft. In other cases, they simply panic. 

What to do if you are a victim of a hit and run in New York

If you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident, you must:

  • Record what you remember about the car: make, model, color and even a fragment of the license number
  • Seek treatment for injuries
  • Alert the police
  • Speak to any witnesses and get their contact information
  • Take photos of the accident scene and damage
  • File an accident report with the DMV within 10 days
  • Notify your insurance company 

Finally, you should contact a car accident lawyer as soon as possible. If police do not find the other driver, you can recover for your losses by filing a claim under your own personal injury protection policy and your uninsured motorist coverage. However, your insurer may be reluctant to pay the full value of your claim unless you have determined legal representation. 

Call today to schedule a free consultation about a hit-and-run claim 

Goldberg Sager & Associates in Brooklyn represents clients who were injured in auto accidents where the at-fault driver left the scene of the accident without providing identifying information. Please call 718-514-9516 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation. We serve clients across the five boroughs and throughout the New York metropolitan area. 

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Our Office
  • Brooklyn Office
    1628 Kings Highway at East 17th Street
    Brooklyn, New York 11229
    Phone: 718-645-6677