What Can an Elder Law Attorney Do for You?
When you become a senior citizen, there are a multitude of potential legal issues that can arise that you never encountered in your earlier years. Because of this, it is important to entrust an experienced elder law attorney to help you navigate the often-complicated matters that may come up.
In recent years, there has been an uptick in prenuptial agreements, as couples have gotten over the stigma of these agreements and realized the value of planning for the worst-case scenario. The same logic applies to the utilization of an elder law attorney. While you may not want to think about some of the less-favorable circumstances that could develop in your latter years, planning for every conceivable situation can only aid you in the long run. An adept elder law attorney can help you do just that.
What Is an Elder Law Attorney?
Lawyers that concentrate their practice on elder law focus on a wide array of senior legal matters. A skilled elder law attorney understands the physical and mental complications that can be part of the aging process. They can serve as your dedicated legal advocate to help ensure your long-term financial well-being and overall quality of life.
Issues an attorney can assist you with include:
- Employment age discrimination
- Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security claims and appeals, along with any supplemental health insurance needs
- Planning for how matters should be handled if you become disabled, including designation of powers of attorney for decisions in the event of incapacitation or incompetency
- Interfamily property deed transfers
- Establishment of a living trust for long-term management of finances
- Plans for assets if you and/or your spouse enter a nursing home facility
- Estate planning, including inheritances for family members as part of a last will and testament
- Guardianships and conservatorships
- Nursing home abuse, elder abuse, and fraud recovery
Contact a New York City Elder Law Attorney
At Goldberg Sager & Associates, we provide compassionate care for our clients and aggressive representation to protect their interests. If you are a senior who wants to plan for the years ahead, we are ready to meet with you and any close family members who want to be part of this important process. While our Brooklyn, NY office is easy to access by car, bus, or subway, if you are unable to travel, we will come to you. To set up a consultation with a Brooklyn elder law attorney, call us today at 718-514-9516.