Search Site
1628 Kings Highway at East 17th Street | Brooklyn, New York 11229
Available 24/7 718-514-9516

I Was in a Car Accident With an Uninsured Driver – What Do I Do Now?

I Was in a Car Accident With an Uninsured Driver – What Do I Do Now?

Car insurance is required in most states, including New York. Despite this legal requirement, many drivers remain uninsured. According to the Insurance Research Council, approximately one in eight drivers do not have auto insurance. That means it is not unlikely to be in a car accident with someone who is uninsured. Because of this possibility, it is important to know what to do if you or a loved one is involved in an accident with an uninsured driver.

What Are the Auto Insurance Requirements in New York?

According to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles, auto insurance is a requirement for individuals who own a vehicle in the state of New York. The amount of liability coverage needed varies based on the type of injury or damage done. The minimum amount of coverage necessary is as follows:

  1. $10,000 for property damage for a single accident.
  2. $25,000 for bodily injury and $50,000 for death of a person involved in an accident.
  3. $50,000 for bodily injury and $100,000 for death of two or more people in an accident.

What to Do After an Accident

Calling the police is the first step you should take after you have been in a car accident. This is important with any auto accident, but it is crucial in cases in which the other driver is uninsured. The police report is evidence that can be used when pursuing compensation. It is also important to gather as many details as possible before the driver leaves the scene. This includes their contact information, license plate number, car type and description, the location/time of the accident, and the officer’s information. Taking photos of the damage can also be helpful for your case.

Do not take money from the uninsured driver. Some drivers that are uninsured will offer the other driver money to avoid police involvement or a personal injury lawsuit. While their offer may seem adequate at the time, you are likely to receive a much larger settlement by working with an attorney and determining whether your own insurance policy provides uninsured motorist coverage. You will want to receive medical treatment and have a damage estimate completed to ensure that you receive sufficient compensation for the damages and injuries that you have suffered.

Contact a New York City Uninsured Motorist Lawyer for Help

It is important to have an experienced attorney on your side when you are involved in any type of motor vehicle accident. Car accidents can lead to high expenses, including the costs of medical treatment for any injuries and the repairs for any vehicle damage resulting from the accident. These costs add up quickly, especially when uninsured drivers are involved. A lack of insurance coverage can result in improper compensation without legal help. At Goldberg Sager & Associates, we work to ensure that you are properly compensated, regardless of the type of insurance held by the other party. If you have been in an accident with an uninsured driver, contact our Brooklyn, NY car accident attorneys at 718-514-9516 for a free consultation.


Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Our Office
  • Brooklyn Office
    1628 Kings Highway at East 17th Street
    Brooklyn, New York 11229
    Phone: 718-645-6677